It's like my grandfather always told me: Mike, when life hands you Lemons, ask for a paternity test.

Friday, June 4, 2010

why don't they make Music anymore?

I live in a world of polarities. While I work at LC, I'm subjected to top 40 radio, which consists of four or five songs which are played non-stop. All day. Every day. I liken the experience to sharp needles (Lady Gaga) being sharpened by a cruel mistress (Rhianna) and placed consistently through my ear lobes (every single radio DJ). It is disheartening, soulless music, with only a beat to catch my interest.
Yet, when I get home and put on my Pandora radio, I rediscover the soul of music. Lately I have enjoyed the music of Al Green. Every time I listen to him sing, I hear something different. It is moving, invigorating, challenging, sorrowful, effulgent, intellectual, bluesy, sophisticated, earthy, and (most of all) demanding of subtle attention. This isn't only Reverend Al: there are countless other artists, most old but some new, who are keeping Music alive. To them, I give my undivided attention. Please enjoy "I'm so Tired of Being Alone," by Al Green.


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. The radio sucks these days. And Pandora is saving us.

    ReplyDelete